Many years of hard work have paid off! As of 2019, a new category added to the Tennessee Bicycle Racing Association’s Best Area Rider (BAR) Series will now give masters women the opportunity to race with their age-group peers and compete for a coveted series jersey and podium spots.
The new BAR series is a long-awaited and exciting achievement for women’s cycling in Tennessee. Masters-aged women are a growing segment of the racing population: the number of licensed women racing bicycles in TN increased 32% between 2014 and 2017; for masters-aged women the increase was 51%. And in 2018, the success of the inaugural Empower Her Women’s Masters Race Series showed just how committed masters-aged women are to the sport of cycling.
The 2019 women’s masters road BAR series is made possible by the Title Sponsor, Empower Electric; Gold Sponsors: MOAB Masters Racing, Southern Velo, and Tennessee Women’s Cycling Project; and Silver Sponsor Alabama Wheelmen Women’s Racing.
Women’s Masters Road BAR Series Races:
- 3/23 and 3/24 Oak Ridge Velo Classic (Time Trial and Crit)
- 5/4 Max Gander Memorial Criterium (Crit)
- 5/19 Espinazo del Diablo aka Devil’s Backbone (Road Race)
- 6/1 and 6/2 Johnson City Omnium (Road Race, Time Trial, Crit, and Omnium)
- 6/9 Rockabilly Gran Prix Jackson TN (State Championship Crit)
- 6/23 Alabama Wheelmen (Crit)
- 7/7 Tennessee State Championship Time Trial
- 7/20 Three River Rumble (Time Trial and Crit)
- 7/27 Aaron Shafer Memorial Road Race (Road Race and Time Trial)
- 7/28 Cookeville Criterium (Crit)
- 8/24 and 8/25 Village VW of Chattanooga River Gorge Omnium (Time Trial, Crit, Road Race, and Omnium)
Check individual race flyers for more information: https://www.tbra.org/raceschedule.php