Tennessee Women’s Cycling Project is excited to announce that many years of hard work have paid off! Masters women will now have a chance to earn a coveted red jersey, thanks to a new category added to the Tennessee Bicycle Racing Association’s Best Area Rider (BAR) Series. Along with a chance to win a jersey or a podium spot in the series, women who are 40+ will have opportunities to race with their age-group peers in 2019.
Races will be offered in a variety of formats, including separate women’s masters races and races that are combined with another field. Marsha Williams, president of TWCP says, “While we know a combined field is not ideal, we believe it will allow for growth in women’s racing. And we hope that, as the masters field grows, promoters will be encouraged to provide a separate field at all events.”
A state championship road race, crit, and time trial will continue to be offered to masters women.
Williams said she would like to thank all the women racers who have supported this series along the way, as well as the promoters who will offer women’s masters races.
The women’s masters series is made possible by the Title Sponsor, Empower Electric; Gold Sponsors: MOAB Masters Racing, Southern Velo, and Tennessee Women’s Cycling Project; and Silver Sponsor: Alabama Wheelmen Women’s Racing.
Women’s Masters Road BAR Series Races:
- 3/23 and 3/24 Oak Ridge Velo Classic (Time Trial and Crit)
- 5/4 Max Gander Memorial Criterium (Crit)
- 5/19 Espinazo del Diablo aka Devil’s Backbone (Road Race)
- 6/1 and 6/2 Johnson City Omnium (Road Race, Time Trial, Crit, and Omnium)
- 6/9 Rockabilly Gran Prix Jackson TN (State Championship Crit)
- 6/23 Alabama Wheelmen (Crit)
- 7/7 Tennessee State Championship Time Trial
- 7/20 Three River Rumble (Time Trial and Crit)
- 7/27 Aaron Shafer Memorial Road Race (Road Race and Time Trial)
- 7/28 Cookeville Criterium (Crit)
- 8/24 and 8/25 Village VW of Chattanooga River Gorge Omnium (Time Trial, Crit, Road Race, and Omnium)
Check individual race flyers for more information: https://www.tbra.org/raceschedule.php